Sunday, April 1, 2012

April Fooling & Tasks That Are Grueling....


It's April Fool's Day, and people are practical joking and pulling pranks all around the world! Apparently, this day is celebrated as far back as 536 BC....

One year, my brother and I swapped out the sugar for salt, so my poor Mom had a very salty bowl of Raisin Bran for breakfast! Another year, we covertly put green food coloring in my stepmother's coffee. When my Dad first introduced us to his lady love, my brother famously proclaimed, "You have yellow teeth!" So, naturally, we thought it only appropriate to use food coloring for a joke-- so we could say, "You're teeth aren't yellow anymore-- they're green!"

My stepmom was and still is a saint for tolerating us! (LOVE YOU LIN!)

All this talk of practical jokes makes me wonder how often we "fool" ourselves into thinking we are practicing healthy habits, being consistent with workouts, and being true to the goals we want to accomplish.

Ever since my disturbing experience with that crazy doctor, (who I have another appointment with this week, by the way--- and plan on reading him the riot act about his incorrect calculation of my BMI!) I have been thinking about my commitment to eating cleaner and following through with some of the things that I dread on a day to day basis, (ie, cleaning the house, managing my finances smartly, etc...)

Years ago, I had a therapist tell me to meditate in the morning before getting out of bed and decide what "thing" I dreaded doing most...Then, to get up and DO THAT THING FIRST. It was brilliant advice, because then, the day just flies by with ease, knowing you've gotten that dreaded task done and put behind you.

Lately, I've been totally dreading my workout. I think that ever since my results slowed down and some weight creeped back on, I've had that bad attitude of, "What's the point of doing this workout at all?" It's frustrating to not consistently see the kind of results I had in the beginning and I think I've lost some of my workout mojo.

I've figured out that there is not one particular magic diet plan will be the solution for me--- but going back to basics with lean protein and veggies, IS... In the same way, going back to basics with my workout is what I think will break through this mental and physical plateau I've been stuck in.
That mojo is my mind-body connection--- and pushing myself through the required 40 minutes of dance cardio and throwing my leg up in the air for some leg lifts-- is not going to drive the kind of results I'm after. For that matter, there needs to be a connection when I'm eating too, or else it's that mindless, shoving food in my pie hole kind of eating that usually ends in a binge.

My grandmother always used to joke that I eat like I work-- FAST! It didn't help that most of my career has been spent speeding toward breaking news, where lunch breaks meant eating on the fly at strange hours and places. I still have that speed mentality when I eat and I have to consciously remind myself that I'm not in a rush and I should just slow down and enjoy the food. I think if I can start pacing myself and connect with what I'm tasting--- to actually savor each bite--- the result will be eating less and having a far more satisfying meal experience.

I always feel like I never have enough time during the day to accomplish what I need to. My home office seriously looks like a promo for the TV Show "Hoarders" right now, and I think to myself, "I don't have time to devote an entire day to organizing this room!" Well, Mistress of Moderation here, needs to think differently....

How about dedicating 15 minutes a day for the next week? I find myself getting so overwhelmed by the big picture (cleaning a whole house, getting to my goal weight) that I lose sight of the little steps that will get me there. I just know that using my time more efficiently will maximize my results.

What if I cut my workout down to an hour but stay 100% connected. Wouldn't that be far more effective than a 2 hour workout at 60%?

Conscious Connection = Results.

Speaking of conscious connection, now that the legislative session is over for the year, pressure at work will ease up a bit and I will have more time to consciously connect to my writing and will actually be able to post more than once a week! YAY!

AND, I've also slacked on posting recipes---- I love writing. I love cooking. Why not write about cooking more? Kind of makes sense, eh? ( ;

Here's a delish nut free pesto recipe I came up with a couple weeks ago. It's so easy and sooooo sooooo gooooood! Instead of using pine nuts for a traditional pesto-- or walnuts, I used unsalted sunflower seeds. I love the flavor and it's super healthy....and I'm not foolin' !!

xxoo


The Mistress' NUT FREE PESTO

2 cups basil leaves

3 Tb parsley

1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan

1/3 cup + 3 Tb olive oil

1/4 cup unsalted sunflower seeds

4 fresh garlic cloves

1/2 ts of salt (salt to taste since the parmesan adds quite a bit of saltiness)


Blend all ingredients in food processor. Add a Tb or two of water if you want to thin it down. Spread on fish before baking, or mix into pasta....or dip pieces of pita into it! DELISH!














4 comments:

  1. Parker, yes, one hour working out with 100% focus would be better! I think I'm taking a bit of a TA hiatus myself. I seem to be very happy with yoga and running/walking at the moment. My measurements have not changed substantially in a very long time (all through metamorphosis and then some), so I'm going to stick with what makes me happy for a while. May add in TA's mat arms though -- that always helps!

    I'd love to see more of your recipes!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for responding, Bee! Have you tried the Hamelin workouts? A lot of TAM devotees have made the switch with great results....I will start posting more recipes!!! xxoo

      Delete
  2. This is such a great post, Parker. I am sorry it's taken so long for me to get here. That mind body connection is incredibly important. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shan! I'm so happy you stopped by to read...Thanks so much-- I know you certainly can relate to the mind body connection on your TAM journey. I continue to enjoy your blog...Stay in touch! xxoo

      Delete