I am honored to introduce you to my first guest blogger, the luminous Zavia Ross! "Z" and I met in 2006 when I started working for CBS Atlanta. Back then, I had a bad weave and was spending money on all the wrong products. She taught me that there are certain items to splurge on-- especially when you need to be camera ready, like foundations and primers, while you can go cheap on products like mascara and lip gloss. She knows some of the industry's best beauty tips-- and has been doing my hair extensions and helping me with my makeup ever since! She's also become one of my best friends in the world.
|Me & Z|
Here are a couple screen shots of me interviewing Z on the morning news a few years ago!
|Local Reporter is stunned by Zavia's Live TV Makeover!|
|Blondie is speechless after seeing Z's talent LIVE on the news!|
Be sure to check out her beauty blog at www.stellarimageconsulting.wordpress.com
And follow Zavia on Twitter: @mystellarimage
As a busy, career-driven, working mom, I have found a way to simplify my makeup bag to the absolute essentials. I believe that when you have found something that works for you, stick with it! I don’t believe in buying something just because it's on sale, but spending your money wisely is key. For instance, ELF cosmetics has a price point of $1 per product for the most part. That doesn’t mean that their lipstick will be your favorite, but maybe you love a shade of their blush and can add it to your everyday collection. You may prefer lipstick from MAC cosmetics and an eyeliner from Maybelline. I always tell my clients, "Whatever it is, make your makeup bag your own!"
First things first -- separate your face into categories: Face, Eyes and Lips.
- Foundation- try CHANEL Perfection Lumiere foundation. It’s worth the splurge!
- Powder - Covergirl Powder
- Blush - Maybelline Dream Mousse Blush
- Mascara - Loreal VOLUMINOUS
- Eyeliner - Prestige Waterproof Eyeliner
- Shadow - Loreal High Intensity Shadow Duo
- Lipstick - CHANEL lipsticks are always great, but MAC has a wide variety for a fraction of the price
- Gloss - NYX Lip Gloss
- Lipliner - Ulta Lipliner
- Eyelash curler - Pick one up at your local drugstore
- Eyeshadow Base - MAC Paint Pots
- Face Primer - Smashbox
ZAVIA'S BEAUTY TIPS
- Find a product line that you absolutely love and that would be your primary line -- kind of like a primary checking account. Everything else can be faves from other lines.
- Have 2 of each product, except for foundation and mascara. (If you need two shades of foundation, you should find a new brand that would match your complexion as close as possible. Also, get an eyeshadow duo or quad-- it will take up less space.)
- I prefer mascaras that have a thinner brush that really gets into the lash line.
- You can find an affordable makeup bag from Sephora, Marshalls, TJ Maxx or Target. If you want to go high end, you can check www.maccosmetics.com. I recommend purchasing something that is dark in color and easy to clean :-)