Sunday, June 10, 2012

Birthday Wishes and Vegan Dishes


So, the old lady turned 37 this past week....I'd like to think that I look, ahem, in my 20's, still, and was touting my good genes when JP said, "Yeah, honey, there's no turning back from your 40's now.  You're no longer in your early 30's....you're in your late 30's."

Really, dude?  Thanks for that reminder!  (More on him later!)

Birthdays have always sort of been like New Year's for me, in terms of resolutions.  It's a chance to look back at the previous year and consider what went right and what didn't.  36 was a totally shitty forgettable year.  As in, "Please, help me forget the power getting turned off, the firing from the bar hag job, the 25 pound weight gain and the financial hell hole I'm still crawling out of."

Bottom line, 37 feels like a whole new start!  A GREAT START!

Here are my main goals for this year:

1. Get in the best shape of my life-- back to my fighting trim 145 pounds
2. Publish some of my writing
3. Get back on TV
4. Figure out a plan to get and stay organized (No more Mistress of Mess!)

Now, let's recap diet and exercise, shall we?

I finished the first week of Hamelin D'Abell's 3 week challenge.  It's similar in technique and philosophy to Tracy Anderson's Method, with light weights and a focus on accessory muscles.  The cardio portion is much more low impact compared to TAM's dance cardio mayhem.  I like that on days when I'm dragging, but for me, I find the higher intensity of "uncoordinated white girl dancing" is usually more effective!

I'm planning to start META Omni tomorrow and alternate with Hamelin's workouts.  2 days of TAM, 1 day Hamelin.  It's going to take longer to get through the META series that way, but I like mixing it up.  Now that the weather is warm, I've also been swimming in our backyard pool which has been awesome!  Today, I did 50 laps and was completely out of breath!  On my breaks, I've been researching new recipes-(More on that later, too!)

Recipe Research Poolside
I've been enjoying majah Pool Boy Eye Candy.  My Badmuthafucka BF (or just the BMF as he has come to be known as) has been working on his latest line of recycled furniture--- specifically, coffee tables using recycled car metal.  This was my view yesterday: (Now if I can just convince him to wear a sparkly thong....)
Parker's Pool View
And for a gratuitous arm shot, I have to include this pic from when we went to Home Depot for his supplies.  JP tells me to stop taking pictures: "Parker, people are either going to think I look like a Neanderthal or an ax murderer!"  And I'm like, "I know, baby, and that's why you're so hot!!!"  ( ;

Gratuitous Bicep Shot
And to round out the BMF show, (just to make sure you don't think he's as mean as he looks....) check out this pic- PURE L.O.V.E.

My 2 Pitbulls

OK, so I'm totally crushing on my boyfriend.  Can ya'll tell?

Part of my cookbook research was finding new/exciting/unusual vegetarian-vegan-raw recipes that I can experiment with.  As the only chick on Earth who doesn't like salad, I am making a concerted effort to come up with cool veggie creations.  I actually took salad with me to work 3 times last week and enjoyed it-- I loaded it with chick peas, cucumbers and avocado and topped it with a homemade red wine vinaigrette.  As far as salad goes, it was pretty beast.

I'm challenging myself to 30 days without meat, eggs or dairy.  Basically, a vegan diet for a month.  I've pretty much been eating dairy and egg free for the last couple months, but it's going to be tough to do completely meat-free.  Initially, I was going to try RAW for 30 days and then realized that cooking vegetables is not allowed-- in fact, no cooking of anything is allowed.

I did experiment with a raw dinner this week, though, and it was a TRIUMPH, as my grandfather would say when he loved a meal Grandma Ronnie made!  Using the basics from a recipe on the Forgiving Martha blog for Walnut Tacos, I improvised some elements of my own, including homemade taco seasoning and a chipotle cashew cream.  It was divine!!!  You MUST make the guacamole and the pico de gallo homemade too, for it to be as fabulous as mine was!  Here's what the finished product looked like:

Walnut Tacos with Chipotle Cashew Cream, Roasted Blacked Beans , Guacamole and Pico de Gallo
Walnut Taco “Meat”
2 cups walnuts
1 Tb soy sauce or Tamari
2 Tb olive oil
2 Tb taco seasoning (see recipe below)

Pulse all ingredients in food processor.  Don’t pulse or blend too long or you’ll have walnut butter!
Once pulsed to “meat” consistency, I toasted in a 350 degree oven for 5 minutes to bring out the nutty flavor.

Chipotle Cashew “Cream”
½ cup cashews
Juice of ½ lemon
4 Tb water
3 Tb adobo sauce from a can of chipotle chilis
1 Tb honey
Blend in food processor until smooth

Spicy Black Beans
2 cans of black beans (don’t drain)
3 garlic cloves
1 large sweet onion
Handful of chopped cilantro
1 jalapeno or Serrano pepper chopped
2 Tb chili powder
2 Tb cumin
1 tsp salt

Sautee 3 minced garlic cloves, 1 sweet onion until transluscent.  Sautee the jalapeno for another minute.  Add cans of black beans and the salt, cumin and chili powder.  Simmer for 20 minutes on medium heat.  Stir in the cilantro and serve!

Homemade Taco Seasoning
2 Tb chili powder
2 Tb cumin
1 Tb garlic powder
1 Tb onion powder
1 Tb sea salt
1 tsp thyme (optional)
Mix together in a bowl and set aside 2 Tb.

Pico de Gallo
2 large tomatoes diced
½ red onion or white onion diced
1-2 jalapenos
Juice of one lime
Handful of fresh cilantro chopped
Salt to taste

Guacamole
5 avocados
Big handful of cilantro chopped
1 small red or white onion diced
1-2 jalapenos chopped
Juice of one lime
Salt to taste (usually 1 tsp of sea salt)

Mash avocados and fold in chilantro, chopped onions, jalapenos, salt and lime juice.
Feel free to add chopped tomatoes!

To put together Walnut Tacos:

  1. Spread cashew cream on lettuce leaves. I prefer using red lettuce leaves, but you can use cabbage, iceberg or whatever “lettuce shell” you prefer! 
  2. Scoop walnut “meat” on the lettuce
  3. Add warm black beans and top with guacamole and pico de gallo.  Dig in and enjoy!
**************************************************************************

We stocked up on beans, spices, nuts and chili pastes today from the farmer's market-- I am so excited to start experimenting with new vegetarian recipes!  

Farmer's Market Treats: Spices, seeds, nuts and more....
And to save the best news for last, lovelies, I submitted this picture to the Tracy Anderson Instagram contest and I'm *currently* in the #1 slot!!!!!  


Didn't I tell ya'll bee-atches that me, Tracy and Gwyneth would be doing some serious bonding this summer??!  LOL!

If you haven't voted yet, I'm going to take this opportunity to beg you ask you to vote for me! 

Click on this link and then 'like' the photo!  Thank you, ladies!!!!!

According to this article, Tracy's detox week details are still top secret, but it's definitely going to include "meals based on a body-type analysis, two hours of daily exercise with Tracy Anderson and senior teachers Maria Kelling and Stacey McDermott, daily lectures and question-and-answer sessions."

I am determined to win this!  I hope the Goddess of Fairy Dust can sprinkle some on my (getting tighter and leaner by the day) buns!  

xxoo



3 comments:

  1. I'm thinking BMF's next project should be a line of sparkly man-thongs with sequins made from recycled metal. HAHAHA! I was LOL'ing at your comment about realizing that Raw foodists don't cook ANYTHING. Totally sounds like something I would do. I like to call those moments my daily dose of Vitamin Blonde. (;

    Rooting for you to win the contest, love! Wish it would let me vote more than once!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious (the food, I mean :)! 37 isn't so bad, sounds like you are off to a great start! Congrats on the TV work, too!

    ReplyDelete