Friday, November 30, 2012

The Glass is Half Empty....And so is my Wine Bottle



...Actually, the wine bottle is totally empty.  Along with my hopes of getting down to my goal weight and transforming into my teeniest, tiniest self via Tracy Anderson's Dance Cardio and Metamorphosis workouts. 

It's been the worst week I've had in a long time, lovelies.  And I mean, baaaaaaaaad.  Pour me another (or third) glass of wine and hand me a Vicodin kinda bad. 

Minutes after leaving work last Wednesday for the Thanksgiving holiday, I was at a complete stop on the highway in traffic, when a truck-- towing another truck-- came barreling into me from behind.  My car was totaled and my left knee got majorly effed up.  The ER doc told me to make an appointment with an orthopedist ASAP.  I was expecting the diagnosis of a torn ACL which surgery can fix pretty quickly.  But it's worse....

I have articular cartilage damage under my kneecap from the impact.  Surgery very rarely can repair cartilage and the body does not regenerate new cartilage or heal old cartilage easily.  "A lifetime of pain" is how the ortho explained it.  Awesome.

I am absolutely beside myself...I've cried. I've cursed the universe. Then I cried more when I had to pull out my Size 12 pants this week.  New meaning to putting on my "big girl" pants to deal.  FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

I had been making such great progress with my weight loss and my workouts!  I did my dance cardio and Meta religously on my vacae and didn't make a complete pig of myself daily, despite the utter insanity of delish that found it's way onto my plate EVERY night. 

Right now, my anxiety is through the fucking roof--  a week and counting of no workouts, not to mention extreme discomfort, waking up every hour on the hour and hobbling around the TV station in a big ass knee brace with crutches...and, well, a BIG ASS.

I know I'm sounding like a Drama Queen, but the Mistress of Mishaps is having a moment.  Forgive me.

Thank you to all of my friends-- real and online-- who have reached out with positivity and advice and good energy.  Keep it coming.  I need all I can get! Despite my Negative Nancy rant above, I truly refuse to let myself wallow in a carb and wine induced pit of despair.  The only thing that did for me this week was pack on 6 pounds.  (Thus, the size 12 pants.)  SOOOOOOOO......here's my plan for now.  LAWD....

I'm already working with an excellent attorney who expects a sizeable settlement in my near future.  Although I would give every cent of that big check to just have my knee working normally again. 

Usually swimming is a good option for injuries like this-- but the articular cartilage damage is under my kneecap, which is actually aggravated by the kicking motion of swimming, so that's out.  Fortunately, Bikram Yoga is apparently great for this type of injury.  The founder of Bikram Yoga, Bikram Choudhury, healed a debilitating knee injury with regular practice, which makes me feel encouraged.
Long before I discovered TAM, I practiced Bikram and loved it.  I gave it up when I found Miss Anderson, but have missed it the last few years, so perhaps this will be a positive thing, returning to the hot box! (For those of you who don't know, Bikram is the most popular form of hot yoga-- practiced in a room that's around 105 degrees for 90 minutes.  Sweating your ass off is an understatement.)

As far as diet, well, I've been rather unmotivated in the kitchen, as you can imagine.  Badmuthafucka has taken it upon himself to help me out, bless his heart.  I sent him to the grocery store to pick something up that he can prepare without my help and he came back with wine, blue cheese, mushrooms, onions and rib eye steaks.  "It's the only thing I can cook, baby."  It was divine.

Now that I'm getting zero calorie burn from exercise, I have to be vigilant about eating clean.  I'm making green smoothies daily and trying not to snack.  I know I need to give the wine up again, but it's been the one thing that has relaxed me at the end of painful, uncomfortable days at work.  Thank God they're only shooting my on-camera work from the waist up!  (Hides the leg brace and the ass-- BONUS!)
I know I've promised you all recipes, and I WILL post them soon....
In the meantime, Mistress of Misery, here, *sniff, sniff* is only too happy to receive your love and affection....(or a gift basket with wine and cheese would be fine. The glass is half empty?  The glass is half full?  Whatev.  Just pour me another glass. Oh wait, that's not helping with the ass factor.  Nevermind.)

Love,

The Mistress

xxoo






7 comments:

  1. Oh Parker, I didn't realise you'd had an accident! What a come down after your lovely trip to see your friend and all those good times.
    Really hope you can get that leg brace off soon and get back to some exercise. They say it's 80% diet so I'm afraid there's no easy way to put this but you're going to have to use all your remaining strength and willpower to make your diet as good as you can, you don't want to undo all your hard work because of some lunatic do you.
    Hugs and hope you feel better soon.
    You still look great on the telly by the way ;-)
    Janice. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janice-- yeah, the 80% factor has been on my mind all week....What? 80% wine? LOL! It's true-- I need to just get myself in a mindset to keep my diet clean and stay positive.

      Thanks for your good energy! xxoo

      Delete
  2. Parker, I am so sorry to hear that you've had an accident and a really bad one by the sounds of it. Food, exercise, and knee aside, I am just so glad it wasn't worse. You might not be around to post about it. Sending healing vibes of willpower and good thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet Shan,

      Thank you for your healing vibes and good thoughts! Yes, I should be feeling grateful-- and I will try to concentrate on that instead of my pity party!! (after this glass of cabernet, lol!) Kidding, kidding. Seriously, though, thanks for reading and reaching out. xxoo

      Delete
  3. Glad you are ok - the knee injury totally sounds like a bummer though. Get well soon - praying for you chica!

    With regards to wine, technically grape = fruit. You're welcome :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marcia-- I am SOOOOO justifying every sip of wine, er, grapes, now! xxoo

      Delete
  4. Ditto on the fruit recs, Parker! LOL!!

    I'm really sorry to hear what happened to you. It sure sucks, but I'm also sure that you'll make the best of the situation and will come up on top of it. I've had my own share of scary health moments, and I can honestly tell you that what doesn't kill us sure makes us stronger.

    Take care, I'll sip a fruit portion and send good vibes your way!!

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete