Thursday, July 19, 2012

Pistol Packed Confession



I have a confession to make.

I went for the quick fix.  The fad.  The hype.  The starve on 500 calories a day with a dose of pregnancy hormone. 

I ordered HCG.

Not the injections.  The drops.

I feel like a total hypocrite admitting this, because, several months ago, when I was at my all-time highest weight (176), my doctor actually suggested the HCG diet.  He told me I needed to lose 30 pounds, that I was obese (mistakenly calculating my BMI to be in the obese range!) and said I should email him my results.  I was devastated and furious.

But since my California trip and post-cleanse, the scale has been creeping back up and Miss Muffin Top and her nasty ass sister, Gutty McFatty, have moved back in.  I cringe every time I see them—"unwelcome guests" is an understatement.

My metabolism is obviously still in total havoc.  I’ve been eating relatively clean during the day, but then it usually all goes to shit at night, when I eat too much and usually have a glass (or 3 of wine).  Consistency and moderation are my biggest challenges.

The rational part of me would assess this situation and say, “OK, Parker.  You’ve got to cut down on portions, cut OUT the booze and get your ass dance cardio-ing.”

The irrational part of me says, “Bee-atch—you’re out of time.  Muffin and Gutty are going to be stealing your spotlight when the camera starts rolling in 12 days!”

You see, lovelies, the Mistress is making her return to the airwaves on July 30th when I start freelance work for NBC during the Olympics.  Awesome, right?

Not awesome when the scale is tipping 170.  Yup.  There it is.  I uttered that hideous number.

I’ve been jumping from one method of eating to the next in the last couple months— most recently trying out Kimberly Snyder’s Beauty Detox Solution.  Her philosophy is to eat light during the day and properly food combine (fruit in the morning and mostly raw vegan until your evening meal.)  This involves the infamous Glowing GreenSmoothie and a lot of salads. 

I hate salad.

Eating salad for me reminds me of when I dated a very nice guy before I met Badmuthafucka.  The nice guy wore a lot of khaki pants, button downs, went to church on Sunday and loved baseball.  He was about as apple pie All-American as you get.  He was so nice.  And so normal.  For those of you who’ve gotten to know me via Facebook and reading my blog, nice and normal are boring not really my favorite adjectives…certainly not the vernacular I would use to describe my life. 

Part of why I stayed with Mr. Nice for so long was because I felt like he lent me the kind of stability I needed at the time—he was a good boyfriend and would have been a good husband. I stayed because I felt like it was the right thing to do.  NOT because I was truly, madly, deeply in love.

The longer I was with Mr. Nice and had nice and normal evenings in watching the Red Sox, the more I craved excitement, creative energy and wild nights of passion….Kind of like when I try to eat nice salads every day like I’m “supposed to”—the more I crave rich, decadent food.

Either way, I was headed for a binge.

In the Nice Guy scenario, my binge came in the form of 25 year old sculptor with a Mohawk and pistols tattooed to this abdomen with the banners: Honor and Labor.  Let’s just say, the Mistress made it her mission to get up close and personal with those guns….Locked and Loaded, indeed. 

Best Rebound Ever...

I went from one extreme (Nice Guy) to the other extreme (Mohawk man with Pistols).  At some point, I realized I needed something in-between to make me truly happy.  Enter Badmuthafucka.  He’s got all the stable qualities I needed from Mr. Nice, with all of the art, passion and um, even bigger guns, (as you can see from the pic) than Mr. Mohawk!  SCORE!



Bringing out the Big Guns: My TRUE love
I just haven’t found that sweet spot with my diet.

Off my anti-depressant and my ADD meds, my appetite is voracious and I find myself obsessing over food more.  Not in an eating disordered way, but in a way that takes up too much time in my head.  I just want to find a plan that WORKS FOR ME.  The extremes are not healthy and I know it. 

Intuitive eating makes total sense, but continues to elude me as far as applying it. 

So, back to the HCG.

The diet plan calls for a mere 500 calories a day and drops put under your tongue 3x daily.  I thought, “I’ll just reduce my calories, but won’t do the diet since it’s too restrictive.”  EPIC FAIL.  The first 2 days call for “loading”—where you eat a ton of fatty/carby food for an excess of calories before doing the super low cal diet.  I loaded alright.  To the tune of 8 pounds in 2 days!!!!!!  WTF????

It’s taken me a week to get back to my pre-load weight.

So now, I’m 170 pounds with Miss Muffintop and Gutty taunting me in the mirror.  TV puts on 10 pounds, damnit!!!  I can’t bear the thought of 180 pounds of ME in HD!!!!!

I’m trying to figure out what to do.  I still have the drops, obviously, so my plan at this point is to suck it up, do the damn diet and lose what I can before my TV gig and then come up with some kind of middle ground for a lifestyle eating plan moving forward.

Yo-yo dieting DOES NOT WORK.  I know this.  I’m just effing up my metabolism further by doing this shit, but desperate times call for desperate measures.  I hate admitting it, but I’m feeling just that….Desperate. 

On a positive note, exercise has been good…I’m in the middle of Level 1 of Meta Omni and alternating cardio for 40-50 minutes a day with TAM dance cardio and Hamelin cardio.

Atleast it doesn’t feel like I’ve got a loaded gun to my head….oh wait, I remember that now…(tee hee!)

Any and all insight would be appreciated! 

xxoo

14 comments:

  1. Oh honey, I'm SO sorry to hear you've been struggling! It sounds like you're stuck between a rock and hard place, so I get that you've had to take a drastic measure you've been trying to avoid. I hope it works out for the best so you can get it over with and have time to find an approach that will work for the long term. Hate that you are facing this stress at a time when you should be able to focus on the FAB opportunity of the freelance work! Amazing news!!! So excited for you, love! Keep me posted! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jess! It's uber-stressful, but hopefully, I can find a plan that works for me in the long term. Miss our chats....I've been so busy and frazzled lately, my one-on-one connections have suffered. Love you to pieces.

      xxoo

      Delete
  2. Oh Parker I so feel your pain sister but please don't drop down to 500 calories. I've been going through a similar situation and I know it sucks, but we've got to find something healthy that we can live with. My sister says the secret lies in the protein. She's a little under your height, older than me and has had three kids and her belly has never looked better! (damn her!) and I'm sorry but consistency and moderation are tough little bitches to get along with aren't they? My sister sent me here - http://www.healthcalculators.org/calculators/protein.asp
    to figure out how much protein I needed and I was way under. A few others have stated the same - we need protein to lose the belly fat.
    But listen, I totally understand the needing to get camera ready, honestly I do. Why not try the nutrient boost week or the performance cleanse with the pureed foods. At least then you're getting calories and nutrition. You can even sub in the GGS for the green juice that Tracy has on the plan.
    It's like the more we read about diets and nutrition the less we bloody know. But you can see from the cleanse that once you're off it the weight comes back - so how to navigate toward a diet that actually keeps the weight off and lets us live is the real question.
    I am sorry this is such a long one but my other argument against the 500 calorie thing is this... it will suck the life out of your skin and hair. You are stunning and glowing and beautiful. Don't let starvation rob you of that, please.
    Big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shan, so happy to hear from you. I read about your recent post on confusion about protein and BDS and almost sent you a link to this post for that reason. I'm totally in a state of frustrated and hungry confusion about the next step to take. I think your suggestion about the nutrient boost week is great, but I hate those freaking purees, dammit! The only thing I can choke down is the choco-chestnut pudding and that is NOT sensible for a daily fix!

      Thank you for the encouraging words-- I promise the 500 calories will only be temporary. I need a lifestyle plan for the long-term. I simply have to figure out what works for me.

      Love you, honey and thank you.

      Delete
  3. I mean this in the nicest way ever, but do you ever think that people really don't care what you are going to look like? You already standout because you are already beautiful. No one's gonna look at you and go, wow, she is a cow. We are our own worst critic, and you might not be happy with how you look, but there are thousands of girls who would kill to look like you do. You are a truly stunning, beautiful person. You are healthy, too. Be thankful that you can move and breathe and have the ability to workout. I almost lost my leg in an accident, and I cannot wait for the day to be able to have full movement and my full health back. Be thankful for what you do have. You have two working legs! You have a working body! So stop stressing out so much, stop doing so many stupid fad diets and eat sensibly and stop beating yourself up so much. Stop hating yourself. Life is too short to live with that much hatred about yourself. You have an amazing guy in your life and your health. You will lose the weight, but do it with TIME. You can't rush greatness. Keep up with workouts, or change it up a bit. You got this. I mean all this with love, really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tiffany, your words startle and settle deep within me. I feel totally selfish and self-absorbed to be obsessing about 20 pounds when you are struggling with movement in your legs. I guess we all have different versions of our health struggles to contend with.....yours is just way more relevant in the context of urgency and necessity. I don't hate myself-- i just hate my lack of consistency and moderation. It's a daily struggle for me and continues to be my cross to bear.

      Thank you for posting. Your message is profound and truly resonates.

      Delete
  4. First of all I LOVE your honesty! You say things that most of us (let's be honest) don't reveal at least for me. I struggle everyday with my body and I am fed up! I like my 64 calorie beer, cheese, potato chips with cream cheese(must try)...ect. So why do I have to give up what I love??? I am always starting over again on Mondays and by Wed. I am back to where I started. I feel like I am in a viscous cycle!!! I think we all need to take a step back and realize we are beautiful. I know we need to take care of ourselves but there has to be limits on how we do it! Parker I understand where you’re coming from and I just wanted to thank you for putting yourself out there like you do! Don't be so hard on yourself...I only know you from your blogs and FB, but your light SHINES through...you are a beautiful lady inside and out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy-- believe me, I debated about whether to post this confessional...I really wanted to keep it a secret and have my suddenly skinny self back to touting a moderate diet...but part of why I started this blog is for accountability and HONESTY with myself as well as my readers. Thank you so much for recognizing my "light"-- however DIM it feels right now to me! ( ;

      xxoo

      Delete
  5. Parker --
    Like Shan, I don't really think the HCG diet does anything except suck the glow from your skin and your hair. You will be more camera ready with the glow than without. A nutrient boost week should help. If you can't stand the puree, don't puree, just chew really well. Feel rebellious, add a little spice. Eat small meals.
    High quality protein should also help. Too few calories can send your body into starvation mode which makes it harder to lose the weight. So the whole thing can be counter productive.
    You want to have enough energy to do your workouts and your job. Get the right nutrients. Get the high quality protein. Work out. And remember the reason you have this job is your ability to make friends with the camera. You have a certain something that creates a vibrancy on the camera and that comes from within, not from the number on the scale.
    You are going to be great in HD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michelle. I always get rebellious with those spice, gurrl....Yeah, I know, too few calories do terrible things, but I'm feeling up against a wall with my TV gig looming....you are so right about the vibrancy from within-- I need to get my Mojo back so I can rock that! Thanks for your sweet words...

      xxoo

      Delete
  6. You're covering the Olympics? That is awesome! What a once in a lifetime opportunity. I am so happy for you.

    As for the weight, it's okay! You are still the great Parker that you that you are! That's what I tell myself when I am falling off the wagon. We all do. Have you tried the Clean Program by Dr. Junger? It's not a weight loss program --though some people do lose weight, it's more of a body reset program for busy people. I went on the Clean Program after a month of cutting too many calories for about a month in a fast and unhealthy way. After cutting too many calories my body ended up going into a full on binge and I just ended up eating everything in sight. I reason that when we take our body to one extreme (severe calorie limitation) our body balances naturally by taking us to another extreme (bingeing, for me that is).

    I went through the Clean Program (with the vitamin pills/probiotics, except I cut the bill by buying from Metagenics) and it really did reset my body. I like the program because it's suitable for busy people. It calls for minimal exercise so that our bodies can use the extra energy that we have to reset and cleanse. I didn't lose any weight (gained a few pounds I think) but it made me feel really healthy and great and it allowed my body to rest and I felt like it reset my thyroid. I think my body was reeling from not getting enough calories and hyper-dieting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christine-- I thought about the Clean program and have had friends who loved it, but I just couldn't afford the $425 price tag advertised....Maybe after my TV paycheck comes in next month I can swing for it! I'm so glad it was a good re-set for you!

      xxoo

      Delete
  7. Ok, I'm the Devil's advocate here, but I say screw it. Go for it and do the diet, I have a couple of friends who have gone on it, lost 30/40 pounds... And worked on broadway in dance shows the whole time. No lack of energy at all, the first week sucked for them, but then they were fine and happier than ever. And they've all kept the weight off! I'm in fact making my mother order the HCG injections right now - she's getting incredibly overweight and I'm so worried about her health. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! KitKat, I love your honesty! (Coming from a girl who just bared her soul on this damn blog!) Did your friends do the drops or the injections? I've been reading how the homeopathic drops are a big scam, so maybe I'm not even really ingesting the true HCG, who knows. What site are you ordering the injections for your Mama?

      Delete