Monday, March 12, 2012

Perfect Design II Day 8: Chili Winner but No Weight Loser

The Mistress and her "Major Award"

It's a major award! Well, not really, but it is my first cooking award! First place at a Georgia Chili Contest-- whoop whoop!

JP wanted to go to a car event on Sunday-- he has a really cool retro '66 Ford Econoline Van-- and this was a chance to get together with a bunch of dudes to talk about their sweet rides. We took picture of our van (baby blue on the far left) with two other Econolines. It was literally, "Vans Down By The River"--- for any of you familiar with the hilarious Saturday Night Live skit.

Vans Down By The River




The bonus for me, was that it was also the Ford Owners Annual Chili Cook Off! I've been wanting to compete in a chili contest since I came up with this killer recipe. And, the Mistress did not disappoint...I won 1st place-- the "Hottest and Most Unique Flavor" as the judge described. Yay for me!

Here's the recipe-- and it's the REAL recipe. I expect any and all winnings sent to me if you enter this and win a contest!

Feel free to substitute the ground beef for ground chicken, turkey, bison, or even tofu, for any vegetarians out there. The key to the flavor is the chipotles and the beer. It is spicy, so if you're not a fan of heat, then cut back on the chipotles and jalapeƱos.

JP named this:

"Slap Yo Mama It's So Good" Chili....

Ingredients

2 pounds ground beef (sometimes the butcher will label it “chili mix”-- the beef is thicker than regular hamburger meat)

1 pound spicy sausage (I use Jimmy Dean HOT sausage)

3 Tablespoons butter

2 medium or 1 large yellow/white onion diced

4-5 garlic cloves diced

2 jalapeno peppers diced (not seeds)

2 cans Rotel tomatoes (original)

1 (6 oz) can of tomato paste

1 can of red beans with juice (Kidney)

1/4 cup honey

4 Tablespoons BBQ sauce

1 Tablespoon Tabasco sauce

4 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (diced with seeds), plus 4 Tablespoons of sauce

1 12 oz bottle amber beer

2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar

2 Tablespoons brown sugar

2 cups of beef stock (I prefer using "Better Than Bouillon" paste. You boil 2 cups of water and add 2 Tablespoons of the paste and mix.)

2 Tablespoons Cumin

4 Tablespoons Chili powder

1 Tablespoon Garlic powder

1 Tablespoon Onion powder

2 Tablespoons Paprika (Hungarian/spicy is best)

2 Tablespoons Brown sugar

1 Tablespoon Cayenne pepper

1 Tablespoon Kosher Salt

2 Tablespoons Black pepper

4 ears corn on cob

Bunch of Scallions

Shredded cheese


In a large saucepan, brown chili meat and sausage. Do not drain.


In a separate frying pan, melt butter and saute onion, garlic and jalapeno until soft, 5-7 minutes. Add to beef saucepan and stir to combine. Add all the spices to the beef mixture and saute over medium heat until combined...Pour in everything else and simmer for 2-3 hours!

***
On the workout/diet front, I'm reaching new levels of frustration with my weight plateau. Over the last month since I finished bootcamp, I seem to gain and lose the same 4-5 pounds. My range has been 162-167 (depending on whether I'm carrying a gluten baby!) I'm still down from my original 176+ pounds, but I'm ready to get back to the teeny, tiny, version of ME!

I cannot for the life of me, seem to dip into the 150's. It's freaking driving me nuts. I know I need to get better about diet. I'm not snacking as much while on the chrono-nutrition plan, but I had to start cutting back the carbs a bit--- it was too much to have a full 1 cup of rice/potatoes at lunch. Today I had between 1/2-3/4 cup of rice with chicken-- and I've started adding a few more veggies back into lunch. Dinner is always a struggle for me. MUST NOT EAT CARBS.

I think the wine during the week isn't helping my fight, either. It adds calories and usually encourages binge eating-- or at least a second helping!

My workouts, on the other hand, have been great-- I love the Perfect Design series and I finally treated myself to a new pair of kicks.... Saucony Progrid Kinvaras. I LOVE them! I literally had worn a hole in my old dance cardio shoes!

My new dance cardio shoes

I'm going to try to be more vigilant about tracking my calories and making smart food decisions. It is frustrating for me to be working out so consistently and then ultimately, sabotaging my progress by overeating or eating the wrong things.

Do you girls struggle with consistent diet??? Fill a sister in-- any and all advice would be awesome!

xxoo



10 comments:

  1. Congratulations!!

    Umm...cannot comment on anything diet related, having gone by Mickey D's to celebrate something or other today. You might try 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar + 1 tbsp honey + 8 oz water in the morning. Vinegar must have 'the Mother,' not Heinz brand, for example. The acv water curbs cravings. If you're not getting enough sleep you may have food cravings for more energy. Try the acv!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great advice-- I've heard really good things about ACV. Gonna try it today! xxoo

      Delete
  2. Hi Parker,
    Congrats!!! unfortunately I cannot eat any kind of chilli unless it is without chill and paprika as I am allergic to the spicy things. I am not a big dieter either. I hate to restrict myself to certain things as I have some food allergies and had to cut back on certain ingredients already. Furthermore I have nearly no self-discipline so that is a big problem with diets too. But I focus on non-processed and self-cooked meals/food and I am satisfied :-)!
    wish you all the best
    Nina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nina-- that's the best food philosophy, I think--- just staying away from processed stuff. Bummer that you have an allergy to spicy food--- I live on it! ( ;

      Delete
  3. I am one of the most inconsistent dieters ever - I get bored really easily. I went 'off' tomatoes the other day for no real reason, other than we have been eating them a lot on our diet. It's a struggle to keep me interested in diet food, because it does get a bit samey after a while. For me, having a cheat day once a week is ESSENTIAL. One day when I don't watch what I put in my mouth (no bingeing or anything, but a nice breakfast with hashbrowns etc. or pastries) It gets me through ...

    Well done on the chilli contest! Amazing.

    http://unpublishedworksofme.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks love! I hate dieting-- I am an ADD dieter (among other things!) I don't like "one day" to cheat b/c then I'd end up eating everything in creation, but I'm having a problem with moderation, per usual!

      Delete
  4. For me the only thing that keeps me consistent is writing everything down (or logging it on MyFitnessPal now that I have an iphone)that I eat and keeping junk out of the house. My husband likes to have dessert at night, but luckily he loves Oreos and I don't care for them so that works out well.

    One treat day a week is also really helpful. Knowing that if I eat good all week long I can have frozen yogurt or some type of dessert on the weekend helps me to stay focused.

    www.Stephanievmiller.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie-- I just started following your blog! I am using MyFitnessPal to and that helps so much to keep track of calories and accountability.

      I have a problem with the one treat a week rule...I need one treat daily!

      xxoo

      Delete
  5. The chili sounds really yummy! I like to remove the browned meat from the pot and saute the veggies in same pan, then I add the meat back in. I add the tomato paste and brown it a little, then add in the beer to deglaze. I really like the addition of the vinegar and the fresh corn, may have to try that next time! My secret ingredient is... chocolate. Either cocoa powder (a Tbs or so) or a chunk of unsweetened baking chocolate. It gives a nice depth of flavor. I have even been known to plop a brownie into my chili bowl! LOL - sounds gross, I know, but it's REALLY good (kind of like people dipping peanut butter sandwiches in their chili, but it gives that whole sweet/spicy flavor I love about Mexican hot chocolate). I'll admit that alcohol was involved the first time I tried this. HA! But most of the time we just have mini corn muffins with our chili. Congrats on winning your first cooking competition! And I have to say, you must wear your weight REALLY well, because I would never EVER peg you for even 150, let alone 160+. Must be the height... lucky! ;) I understand not feeling like your best and wanting to get back to your "teeny tiny" self, but take some comfort in the fact that you are looking great all along the journey!

    ~Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jessica!

      Adding chocolate sounds like a fabulous idea-- making it richer, like a Mexican Mole sauce! Definitely want to give that a try!

      Thanks for the kind words--- I do carry the weight well, I think in part b/c I'm so muscular. Most people would never guess that I'm pushing 170. At my teeny tiniest, I was about 142-145. Any thinner than that and I don't look good at all...I'm just hoping to get back down to 150 at this point!

      Delete